Nancy Dulaney takes an in-depth look at the history of the Taylor lumber mill on Lake Washington and how the Taylors and the mill weathered the coming of the Ship Canal. Find the full illustrated article here.
Community historian Valarie Bunn is profiling a number of businessmen and others from the Fremont area who contributed to the making of the Ship Canal on the blog Wedgwood in Seattle History (not limited to Wedgwood!). Find their stories by searching for “Fremont,” or by clicking here.
Photo: Edgewater Building
Read about the St. Paul, a square-rigged sailing ship of old that for a few years served as a museum and aquarium at the Locks. The story is on HistoryLink.org here.
Eastside Heritage Center profiles the William Hewitt and the Hewitt-Lea Lumber Mill on Wilburton Hill prior to the opening of the Ship Canal in their latest newsletter. Find it here.
On July 4, 1917 the Government Locks were officially dedicated and the event was marked by a great celebration highlighted by a parade of some 200 vessels led by the Roosevelt. Many local yacht clubs participated in the days’ festivities and some of the boats taking part in the display are still sailing, some in local waters.
With the centennial of the Locks coming up in 2017, the Friends of the Ballard Locks decided to search for those 1917 parade participants. They began with an article from the Seattle Daily Times which listed the 83 boats which passed in review before the Roosevelt while she was moored in Lake Washington. Documents from the Queen City Yacht Club added the names of their members’ vessels which took part in the parade.
Two of the parade boats are still in the area, the Honey Boy and the Glorybe. The Zina, tragically, was destroyed in a fire several years ago; she had participated in previous anniversary celebrations of the Ship Canal and came just short of reaching the centennial.
The group has uncovered when many of the boats were built, where they were built, 1917 ownership, etc. but their current whereabouts is elusive. With help from the public, they hope to locate others which were part of the 1917 festivities so they can be acknowledged for their historic significance during the Centennial in 2017.
A list of all known boats from the day is on our blog
If you have any information about these boats or would like to chat about what we have found so far, please contact Susan.
Dick Wagner, the Founding Director of The Center for Wooden Boats, explores the ecology of the lake destined to unite the saltwater and freshwater sides of the Ship Canal. Read all about it here.
Puget Sound Maritime researcher Joe Baar takes a second look at some photos associated with the Lake Washington Ship Canal. http://psmhsinsidepassage.blogspot.com/2016/03/making-cut.html
By any measure, the building of the Hiram Chittenden Locks was a big project. http://psmhsinsidepassage.blogspot.com/2016/04/making-cut-locks-by-numbers.html
In 1975 Ralph Waldo Johnson shared his memories of growing up by the Lake Washington Ship Canal in a two-part article for Puget Sound Maritime’s The Sea Chest publication. Nancy Dulaney introduces us to Ralph and his story. http://psmhsinsidepassage.blogspot.com/2016/04/making-cut-memory-digs-canal.html
A sawmill on Seattle’s Union Bay did not survive the lowering of Lake Washington brought about by the building of the ship canal. http://psmhsinsidepassage.blogspot.com/2016/05/making-cut-yesler-mill-on-union-bay.html