Explore the lost rivers of King County with this interactive digital map created by Zac Corum.
The Seattle Municipal Archives has posted an online exhibit of photos called “Life on the Cut,” which features homes and businesses captured between 1974 and 1980 in the neighborhoods whose development was spurred by transportation and trade activities made possible by the canal project. The exhibit also contains examples of maritime activity, as well as snapshots of Old Ballard, Foss Maritime, Norwegian Constitution Day in Ballard, maritime shipyards, and Gas Works Park.
Find the exhibit here.
The Library recently launched the “Lake Washington Ship Canal Digital Collection” which features over 200 items, including maps, photographs, and postcards, from the Seattle Collection. Find many wonderful resources and images chronicling the plans and results of this feat, browse their Database
Nancy Dulaney takes an in-depth look at the history of the Taylor lumber mill on Lake Washington and how the Taylors and the mill weathered the coming of the Ship Canal. Find the full illustrated article here.
We’ve put together a slide show highlighting some first person accounts of the Lake Washington Ship Canal — the cost, the consequences, and the memories. Find it here.
Community historian Valarie Bunn is profiling a number of businessmen and others from the Fremont area who contributed to the making of the Ship Canal on the blog Wedgwood in Seattle History (not limited to Wedgwood!). Find their stories by searching for “Fremont,” or by clicking here.
Photo: Edgewater Building
Read about the St. Paul, a square-rigged sailing ship of old that for a few years served as a museum and aquarium at the Locks. The story is on HistoryLink.org here.
Eastside Heritage Center profiles the William Hewitt and the Hewitt-Lea Lumber Mill on Wilburton Hill prior to the opening of the Ship Canal in their latest newsletter. Find it here.
On July 4, 1917 the Government Locks were officially dedicated and the event was marked by a great celebration highlighted by a parade of some 200 vessels led by the Roosevelt. Many local yacht clubs participated in the days’ festivities and some of the boats taking part in the display are still sailing, some in local waters.
With the centennial of the Locks coming up in 2017, the Friends of the Ballard Locks decided to search for those 1917 parade participants. They began with an article from the Seattle Daily Times which listed the 83 boats which passed in review before the Roosevelt while she was moored in Lake Washington. Documents from the Queen City Yacht Club added the names of their members’ vessels which took part in the parade.
Two of the parade boats are still in the area, the Honey Boy and the Glorybe. The Zina, tragically, was destroyed in a fire several years ago; she had participated in previous anniversary celebrations of the Ship Canal and came just short of reaching the centennial.
The group has uncovered when many of the boats were built, where they were built, 1917 ownership, etc. but their current whereabouts is elusive. With help from the public, they hope to locate others which were part of the 1917 festivities so they can be acknowledged for their historic significance during the Centennial in 2017.
A list of all known boats from the day is on our blog
If you have any information about these boats or would like to chat about what we have found so far, please contact Susan.
Artist Ellen Sollod took her pinhole camera and audio recorder out to create a portrait of the Lake Washington Shoreline, highlighting changes since the completion of the Lake Washington Ship Canal. See the results at http://lakewashingtonpalimpsest.blogspot.com/.